When I first played Braid, the game ran extremely slowly. After hunting down the issue for a while, it seems to have something to do with vertical sync and Nvidia graphics cards (here’s the story in the official Braid blog). Here’s how I fixed it.
1. Open the Nvidia control panel. (Right-click on the desktop)
2. Go to 3D Settings » Manage 3D settings. Go to the Program Settings tab and click the Add button.
3. Navigate to the Braid installation folder (by default it should be C:Program FilesBraid) and double-click on the braid.exe file.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the settings list and on the very last item, Vertical sync, change the setting to Forced on.
5. Click the apply button and close the control panel. Launch Braid and enjoy!
This worked for me with the Greenhouse version of Braid and an Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS. Did it work for you? Please leave a comment!